THE HISTORY OF
THE ROYAL OAK
The Royal Oak first opened in 1852 and was an important part of village life for many years until it sadly closed in 2007. The fomer tannery was left empty and unloved until its recent restoration.
A full history of The Royal Oak can be found on the wonderfully informative village website.
The pub has been restored, renovated and revived, thanks to the kindness of three village men and a fellow local investor who made the brave decision to buy it in 2012. Great support was shown by the villagers, permission was given by the planners and the hard work commenced in April 2014.
The pub has been lovingly restored with quality craftmanship at the heart of each design decision. There is a refreshing mix of old and new with traditional beams and stone floors sitting beautifully alongside stylish modern wooden furniture by local designer Matthew Burt.
The doors were proudly opened in September 2015 with a party for all the village and local community. Its been a bustling hub of eating drinking and merriment ever since.
A heart warming tale of an empty village pub saved by Village men who have not only restored a wonderful old building back to its former glory but also restored the heart back into our village community.
We have so much to share with you including delicious locally sourced food, a roaring fire, amazing oak furniture and friendly faces. Grab a pint of 'Cliffehanger', pull up a Stool and hear all about it...